Today marks the first day of the A to Z Blogging Challenge 2013. How can it possibly be April already? This is devastating. Slow down, time/life…
Although I haven’t been blogging much of late, that’s all about to change: I shall inflict upon you twenty-six blog posts over the course of April! I thoroughly enjoyed taking part last year, and will no doubt make it an annual tradition. Find out more about the challenge here.
My theme for the A to Z Challenge is: writing warm-ups.
I find if I start a writing session with a five-minute warm-up, I have a much more productive session.
There are several ways I like to do this. For each day of the challenge, I shall suggest various exercises such as photo prompts, mind maps and freewrites. I’m confident you’ll find your muse lurking beneath one of them. Grab a cuppa and a notepad…
Today’s warm-up is A for Abandonment.
1. Whose hat is this? How did it end up there? Simply overlooked by a harassed, unobservant mother (why is she harassed?)? Or a clue to something more sinister? Scribble down a scenario/character profile based on the poor wee hat.
2. Sketch a mind-map using the key word as the nucleus, then branch out in whatever direction you please. You might find yourself going in completely unrelated paths (which I personally prefer). Do a five-minute freewrite incorporating as many (or few) branch words as you like. Here is my mind map (created using the SimpleMind app on my phone).
3. Choose one of the following sentence starts and freewrite for a few minutes, letting the words tumble out without a second thought:
- It was hat & scarf weather…
- She couldn’t find it anywhere…
- The rain made it soggy…
I find it best not to read my freewrites for at least a few days. Why not stuff them in a drawer and surprise yourself? It’s blatant evidence that our minds work in mysterious ways. Plus, I defy you not to find an array of story seeds amongst your work.
Do you have any writing warm-ups you’d like to share?
Note: All photo prompts in the A to Z Challenge 2013 are my own. Feel free to use/copy/share to your hearts content. Help yourself. 🙂